Tuesday 8 September 2015

Posted by Aggie on Tuesday 8 September 2015 No comments

Have you ever seen these at grocery stores and wonder what to do with them? How they taste like?
I live in Canada and I remember the first time I saw them at the grocery store was several years ago.
It was on demo, I tried it and fell in love with it.

Since then, I've seen the popularity of this mushroom grow. I now see it in restaurant dishes (both Asian and non Asian places) and I see more groceries stores carrying it. However I noticed a lot of people still don't know what it is and after so many years, it's still one of the demo booths I see at the grocery store every week. So I thought I would do a quick post on how easy it can be to cook these tasty mushroom.

Even though I first found these in an Asian grocery store, they are actually native Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Northern African plants. It became popular in Asian and now different Asian countries also grow it.

How to store?
If you're not eating it right away, take it out of the tray and plastic wrap and put it into a paper bag. Then place it in the fridge. If you leave it in the tray, sometimes you'll find something fuzzy on it. That's still safe to eat but I find you avoid that if you put it in the paper bag.

Here's a super simple way to cook the mushroom to try it's flavour and texture.

King Oyster Mushrooms

Prep Time: <5 mins Cook Time: ~5 mins

Ingredients

  • 1 package of King Oyster mushrooms, normal or baby size works
  • 1 green onion
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • Dash of oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional sesame oil

Directions

  1. Rinse the mushrooms
  2. Cut into slices as shown in the picture to the right with the white line.
  3. Cut the green onion into strips
  4. Heat up a pan to medium heat
  5. Add oil to the hot pan to help make it non-stick and add the garlic and white part of green onion and stir
  6. Count to 30 and add in the mushrooms
  7. The mushrooms will start turning more translucent as it's being cooked. Add in the green onion when the mushroom is about 75% done, just the centre is still the original raw color.
  8. Add some cracked salt and pepper to taste and you're done!

The sesame oil is optional because it's a very strong flavour and it can over power the mushroom if you're trying to figure out how it taste like. But adding a little gives it extra fragrance.
Simply, yummy and fast!
Enjoy





Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment