Thursday 2 January 2014

Posted by Aggie on Thursday 2 January 2014 No comments
Catching up on posting.  :)

I have a niece born before Christmas and one after Christmas.
So we celebrate their birthdays during Christmas dinner
This year, I made a 2 tier cake so they each get a layer.



The bottom layer is a white chocolate strawberry buttercream cake

The top layer is a dark chocolate pistachio buttercream cake.

For the buttercream,  I liked the butter to egg white ratio from Keiko Ishida's book but I don't like how she doesn't cook her egg whites.
So I'm still experimenting with the right syrup ratio so I can add more liquid type of flavor (ie strawberry puree) before the cream breaks.
Both cakes are from Rose's Heavenly Cake book.

The decorations are made of fondant. I used cookie cutters for the shapes but I used a sharp knife to cut out the words myself. I think I'll go invest in Alphabet cookie cutters soon. Took too long to do the knife work.

How to make stack the cakes:
You need to build structure for the bottom layer so the top cake doesn't sink in.
I use bubble tea straws as support.
I like to use 5 because my 6in cake is heavy.
Put the straw beside the cake and cut to the right height.
Cut all your straws.
Use your 6 in pan and lightly press on the top of the bottom cake with it too make and indent for where you want to place your cake.
Stick the straws you cut inside the 6in circle indent evenly spaced apart.
Move your top layer on top and your done.  :)
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment