Thursday 2 January 2014

Posted by Aggie on Thursday 2 January 2014 No comments

I love baking with buttermilk. I find buttermilk baked goods to have awesome moisture as well as flavour.
Since buttermilk comes in 1 L cartons, whenever I buy it to bake 1 item, I end up baking a whole bunch of items to use it all up.

This scone recipe is very easy and fast to make.
They turn out moist and fluffy and helps me use up the buttermilk :)

Usually I always measure out the ingredients by weight but I find that it's not necessary for the scones
Just need measuring cups, spoons, a fork and a bowl to make the scones


Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour 
1/3 cup Brown sugar 
2 1/2tsp baking powder 
3/4 salt 
1/2 tsp baking Soda 
3/4 cup cold butter (170.25g) 
1 cup buttermilk 
1 cup dried cranberries 
1tsp grated orange peel (Optional)

Directions
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl 
2. Cut in butter until crumbly 
3. Gently stir in buttermilk until just combined 
4. Fold in cranberries and orange peel
5. Turn onto table and make 2 6in disks or make them into 4 smaller disks
6. Put them on a pan and cut each into 6 wedges but leave them together. 
7. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle sugar on top. The sugar is optional. I typically don't add it but it can add a nice crunch. 
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. The smaller disk will cook faster. 

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment