Tuesday 21 June 2016

Posted by Aggie on Tuesday 21 June 2016 No comments

I know broccoli required at least 6 hours of sun and it's a cool temperature plant, but I thought, maybe if it has a bit more shade, then it can survive in hotter weather.
Boy was I wrong.
My side garden gets about 3-4 hours of sun if I'm lucky.
It's been basically a month since I planted my seedlings outdoors and the broccoli have gotten big, but 1 bolted early and the second one just bolted in the last heat wave.
I really should have been getting to a point where the head is growing but the heat caused the second promising looking plant to bolt :(
Looks like all I'll be able to get is broccoli leaves out of the plants.

I guess I'll try again in the fall but in the backyard when I get it back to see if I can grow it in full sun but cooler time.
The only issue is it'll take me at least a month to clear out the current beds of the trees, flowers and weed when I get access to it in Aug....
Which means I'll transplant in Sept, which is cutting it close to freezing temperatures....I guess we'll see how it goes :)

Other then that, besides the 3 cabbage worms I found and picked off, I haven't seen anymore so far.
I sprayed a mixture of cayenne pepper and castile soap on the leaves as homemade pesticide.
I also got strong smelling herbs and planted it close to the plants.
I got 2 mints (kept in pots), 2 thymes and 1 lemongrass.
Hopefully it'll be ok until I pull out these plants to plant something else.

Oh! and I believe I know what is causing the holes and caverns in my garden....we've concluded that I probably have a mole digging around somewhere.
That would explain why when I dug 1 foot into the soil, some areas had big cavities and why holes were appearing.
There's this 1 hole that comes out by my lettuce, that keeps on coming back day after day after I fill it again. It also explains why my bean collapsed in the last rainstorm. There was nothing underneath so when it rain heavily, it dropped the bean into the hole >_<
I think I'll have to throw some cayenne pepper into the hole before I refill it, but it probably won't stop it from tunneling around...I hope it doesn't cause too much issues around the roots and disturb my plants. I really don't want to have to get rid of it.

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment