Tuesday 31 May 2016

Posted by Aggie on Tuesday 31 May 2016 No comments

I saw these on Pinterest and thought they were so cute I just had to try them.
First I tried with the beans since I wanted something I can bury without disturbing the roots.
But sadly my beans just didn't want to grow so I had no success there.
I but didn't give up.
I ate more eggs and did some planted other things.
My broccoli and cabbage are germinating at about 75%.
Although I did the cabbage and broccoli on different weeks it seems like the amount of sun they can get on my window sill is making them grow at about the same speed now.

I'll probably get them into the ground as soon as I know the beans I transplanted are doing ok.
I'll be putting these in front of the beans :)


To use the egg shells as planters, I used a very sharp knife to poke a hole at one end.
Then I used that hole to create a small crack and lifted a small piece out. Then bit by bit I widen the hole. The egg will want to leak out at a certain point. You can try to pour it out when it first starts to leak but the hole is probably still too small for the yolk to come out without popping.
Best to pour a bit of the egg white and then continue to widen the hole until the size you want and the yolk will easily pour out.

I boiled the egg so it keeps longer.
Poke a hole through the bottom so water can drain through. If you don't, you'll have to be careful how you water.

When you are ready for transplanting, just squeeze the eggshell so it can break apart so your roots can push through the cracks even before it decomposes.
It makes transplanting very easy as you're not really disturbing the root :)

Try it out!!
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment