Friday 27 May 2016

Posted by Aggie on Friday 27 May 2016 No comments

What do you know, the first night I leave the polytunnel cover off, the next morning I find holes all over my little garden.
I swear it's that chipmunk I've seen around. I've found it guilty in my chayote pot when I was hardening the plant. It doesn't eat the arugula but it's digging up the garden and it ate my bean seeds. :(
I have no idea how it knew where I planted the seeds.
Those dents you see in the photo above is from the chipmunk digging. There were some deeper holes and it even got into my eggplant pot that I put outside for more sun. The funny thing is, it didn't eat the seedling, just dug up everything around it and pushed the seedling over......I don't understand at all. I just hope my eggplant will survive cause it just popped up! It doesn't even have true leaves yet and the chipmunk got to it.

So this is what I'm trying to fight against the chipmunk.
I brought this "bird" cover which is basically just netting and I'm putting it over a section of the garden that have low growing items. I'm using the same hoops I used for polytunnel for the netting. I've had the netting up for 4 days and I haven't found any new holes. I think it's discouraging the chipmunk for the time being. I really hope it doesn't figure out how to get in to give my seeds a chance to grow.


So apparently I had 1 seed that survived the chipmunk raid.
It just popped up today so I hope it'll continue to grow.

I also transplanted the beans my mom's friend gave me. She gave me so many, I hope a good amount of them will survive the transplant since I've been told beans don't like to be transplanted. My fingers are crossed. I don't know how she got them to grow so well in the small space when the peas I planted indoors before the transplant were so weak!! The roots on these are so much more developed then the pea I had indoors. These are outside of the netting, I hope the chipmunk will leave them alone.

And here are the peas.
The right one was from indoors and the left one was direct sow. Such a big difference. The direct sow can stand on it's own even though it's much taller now. The leaves are bigger and the stem is stronger. The transplant is floppy and requires support to help it stay up.
I wonder how much light I need indoors in order for the seedling to grow better. I can't imagine the glass to block light that stops plants from growing when people build green houses out of glass.
At this point in time I'm pretty stumped.

I hope the peas will get taller soon to start climbing the trellis. The higher it climbs the more sunlight it'll get.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment