Sunday 1 May 2016

Posted by Aggie on Sunday 1 May 2016 No comments
I swear mother nature loves messing with gardeners up north.
For the last 2 weeks it was in the warm teens, and right after I transplant my sugar snap pea seedling it drops to freezing for several days.... :(
I'm hoping it'll still be ok with the polytunnel to help keep the soil warm enough that the plant will be ok.
I would have liked to wait a little longer before I transplanted it but for the last 2 weeks the peas haven't grown indoors, so I decided to bite the bullet and transplant it now. So fingers crossed for the next week to see how it grows.

Hopefully it will grow better and bear fruit before May two-four weekend. Since sugar snap peas like cooler climate, I was hoping to finish harvesting it by then and swap places with the Chayote which needs warm climate to grow in.

The lettuce I have seeded 2 weeks ago seemed to be doing well before the cold hit.
Cute little seedlings right now. Once again fingers crossed the cold doesn't kill it. When I took a peak again today, seems like a couple of the sprouts are starting to show true leaves :)
The new row of lettuce I seeded last week haven't sprouted yet at all. So maybe the frost killed that row. I'll have to monitor and see before I try to reseed it so I don't overdo that row.

I still struggle with hours of sunlight in the side garden. 3 hours of sunlight is hard on plants.
I think it'll hit peak 4 hours of sunlight in June/July. So those 2 months will be my key growing season.

I better do more indoor seedlings to be ready for it.

I think after this year, I'll probably only do climbing type and lettuce types of plants in the side garden.
Climbing can get a little bit more sun as higher up on the fence gets sun earlier then the ground level.
Lettuce should be ok with partial sun so....that's probably my plan going forward.
If things go well, I'll dig out the trees from the back raised garden and plant there as well for things that need full sun as that patch gets full sun.
Hopefully things will grow yummy enough to convince my husband to help me dig out the trees so I can plant there too :)

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment